How to Consume Cannabis
Are you new to cannabis? Looking to get educated on how to consume cannabis?
Below you will find some of the many ways to consume cannabis and enjoy all Nantucket Island has to offer.
There are several ways to consume cannabis, and each method has its own set of effects and potential positives and negatives. Some of the most common methods include:
- Smoking: Smoking is one of the most popular methods of consuming cannabis. It involves inhaling the smoke produced by burning dried cannabis flower. The effects of smoking cannabis are usually felt within minutes and can last for several hours. Positives of smoking cannabis include its rapid onset and ease of use, as well as its ability to allow for precise dosing. Negatives of smoking include potential respiratory irritation, the production of harmful byproducts, and the strong odor associated with smoking. Ack Natural offers 17 different cultivars in eighths, quarters, half ounces and ounces. They cultivars come in sativa, indica and hybrid.
- Vaporizing: Vaporizing, or “vaping,” involves heating cannabis to a temperature that releases its active compounds as a vapor, which is then inhaled. This method is seen as a healthier alternative to smoking, as it eliminates the harmful byproducts associated with smoking. Positives of vaporizing include a smoother and more discreet experience, as well as a more controlled and efficient delivery of THC. Negatives include the cost of the vaporizing device and the need to keep it charged and maintained. At Ack Natural, we have Pax vaporizers, Puffco vaporizers for concentrates and Ack also carries its own pre filled 510 vape cartridges and disposables, called “The Weekender”. We use full spectrum oil so you get the whole plant material, which gives you a better high. Glue Zauce, Mac 1 and Sour Diesel are just some of the flavors.
- Edibles: Edibles are cannabis-infused food and drink products that are ingested orally. They are absorbed into the bloodstream through the digestive system and can take anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours to take effect. Positives of edibles include their long-lasting effects and their ability to provide a more intense and body-focused high. Negatives include their delayed onset time, difficulty with precise dosing, and the potential for overconsumption. Ack offers several different edibles, some in the form of a fruit chew and chocolate bars. A customer favorite for sleep, is our melatonin infused edible called Cloudberry. Ack Natural customers love them and they say it helps them sleep.
- Drinks: Ack Natural is the only place on Nantucket where you will find THC infused drinks. These drinks have 3mg of THC so you can drink along with you friends who drink alcohol.
- Concentrates: Cannabis concentrates are the resulting product of the extraction of desirable compounds from the marijuana plant. During the extraction process, you end up with a substance rich in cannabinoids, terpenes and flavonoids that’s typically high in potency. There are various extraction methods and, as a result, various types of marijuana extracts. “Washing” also known as Ice Water Extraction is the process of separating trichome heads from cannabis flower by using Ice and water to literally wash the flowers causing the trichome heads to break off and sink in the water. These Trichome heads will be collected later by using a series of nylon mesh bags with different size openings. These bags will separate all of the available trichomes from the water and can be graded into different quality hash based on the finer mesh bags. This process produces very high quality Hash/Concentrates using no chemical solvents for extraction and can demand a higher price due to the quality produced.
Solventless vs. Solvent use
There are two main types of cannabis extraction for concentrates solventless and solvent based extraction. Solventless is the process of separating trichome heads containing valuable cannabinoids from the cannabis flower using mechanical processes that require no chemicals. Examples of solventless extraction are Ice Water Extraction (using ice and water), Dry sifting (using a metal or nylon screen to manually separate), and Flower rosin (pressing whole flower between two hot aluminum plates).
Solvent based extraction uses a chemical/gas to dissolve trichome heads into the chemical/gas solution that will be filtered out and recovered at the end of the process producing a high purity extract. Examples of solvents include CO2 gas, Butane gas, and Alcohol. All of these produce a high quality extract with increased yields over solventless but can sometimes contain residual solvents leading some consumers to prefer solventless over solvent based extracts.
- Tinctures: Tinctures are liquid cannabis extracts that are typically taken orally, either by placing a drop under the tongue or adding it to food or drink. They are absorbed into the bloodstream through the mucous membranes in the mouth. Positives of tinctures include their quick onset time, ease of use, and precise dosing. Negatives include the need to accurately measure the dose and the potential for a strong taste or odor.
It is important to note that the effects and potential positives and negatives of consuming cannabis can vary widely depending on several factors, including the method of consumption, the potency of the product, and the individual’s tolerance and metabolism. It is also important to use caution when consuming cannabis, especially for the first time, and to start with a low dose and gradually increase as needed.